Skip to main content

Sunday Meal Prep

I have had several people ask me lately about my Sunday meal prep day.  This is something I have been doing pretty consistently for a while, not just since I joined Weight Watchers.  I spend a few hours in the kitchen on Sunday afternoon and prep as much food as I have the time and energy for.  Some weeks I am able to prep a lot, and some weeks just a little.  At the very least I prep my snacks for work and at least a few of my work lunches.  On a good week I can do all of my lunches and some dinner prep too. 

Sometimes food prep just involves planning. I eat pretty much the same snacks every day.  My morning snack is a light string cheese, 7 almonds and an apple.  That is easy to prep.  I put the string cheese and almonds in a snack size bag and grab an apple each day.  My afternoon snack varies a bit more, but usually I have vegetables in some form so I chop as many fresh vegetables on Sunday as I can.  Easy to grab.  Sometimes I make a low point dip to dip my veggies in, and I make those ahead of time too on Sunday.

Lunches consist of turkey sandwiches, leftovers or salads.  I usually make 2 or 3 salads ahead of time in jars and store them in the fridge, dressing on the bottom heavy veggies, meat and eggs, then salad then a little Parmesan cheese.  Use the quart jars so you can put a lot of lettuce in!  I pack up any leftovers in my glass jars with a note about how many points they are so I can plan ahead.  I usually will take one of these on Wednesday when I work the evening shift.  I am also able to pick up the pieces and do a little more prep on Wednesday mornings, which I have off.  

If I am super organized I will also pre-chop any vegetables I need for recipes for dinner.  I store them in a bag and then when I start to cook I can just skip all the chopping!  I usually do at least one crock pot meal a week too, and try to put that together on Sunday night as well. 

Mostly the meal prep comes in handy when I am hungry.  If I get home after work and I am starving, I can grab the bag of veggies and the one point dip to snack on while I am making dinner.  That way I don’t reach for something with more points right before dinner.  Then after dinner I can quickly chop up a few more veggies for the next day.  Another helpful thing for me is storing a few healthy things at work.  I keep a box of my morning oatmeal here in case I am super rushed in the morning and also have a few bags of 2 point snacks stored in my desk just in case.  I can almost always fit an extra two points into my day. 
A few more of my favorites?  Laughing cow cheese with crackers and grapes.  Babybel cheese with crackers.  Popcorn (Angie’s chickaboom popcorn is great).  I always bag this up into individual serving sized bags so I don't accidentally eat the whole bag!  Veggies with ½ cup Greek yogurt and 1 TBSP of ranch dip.  I am not going to lie, I also really love chocolate and have been buying a lot of the WW 2 point chocolate caramel bars.  So easy and so tasty. 

Lastly, for me, presentation is key.  My snacks look so pretty and inviting in the glass jars just waiting for me to eat.  I feel so happy when my lunch bag is filled with carefully prepared snacks.  I hope this helps!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Trouble with Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis

Jill Shalvis is spot on with her new Heartbreaker Bay series...I haven't been disappointed yet! The Trouble with Mistletoe is the second in the series after Sweet Little Lie s.  This story features pet shop owner Willa Davis and the very sexy contractor/developer Keane Winters.  Willa knew Keane in high school, but it turns out he doesn't remember her.  Luckily for everyone Keane is now a very nice man, and the sparks between the two fly almost from the first page.  When you throw in an adorable kitchen, a cast of colorful characters and the magic Jill Shalvis creates with her writing and this one is a winner! Highly recommended! Rated 4/5 on Goodreads and recommended to Libraryreads. Thanks to Edelweiss for the advanced reader's copy...I enjoyed this one!

Review: Fat Fridays by Judith Keim

I wasn't going to review this one on my blog because, frankly, I didn't like it.  But then I decided that my blog shouldn't just be about books I like, it should be honest reviews about all books good and bad. The premise of the book was promising, the main character Sukie is rebuilding her life after her husband leaves her for another women.  A common theme with women's fiction books.  Sukie learns to rely on her friends, and makes new friends while she discovers who she is when she is alone.  I love this type of story line and it was probably the best part of the book, but it was hard to read, rushed and all over the place. The characters, to me, just didn't seem real and I had trouble connecting to them.  To me this is the cornerstone of a women't fiction novel and without it I just couldn't get into the book.  This one had a lot of promise but didn't deliver. Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced readers copy in exchange for this honest review...

Review - The Island House by Nancy Thayer

Anyone who knows what books I enjoy, knows by now that I love any book that features summer, the beach, an island or any combination of those things.   The Island House didn't disappoint.  I love Thayer's books that are set on the island of Nantucket, I love reading about the families who summer there and the families that stay there all year long. This book was exciting because it not only featured a family who lives on Nantucket year round, the Vickerey's, but also their "summer children".  The main focus of this novel is Courtney who was college roommates with Robin Vickerey.  Courtney has fallen in love with Robin's brother James, but has many unanswered questions about their relationship.  Also, someone from Courtney's past appears and makes her wonder if she knows her own heart. Although I enjoyed this book a lot, it wasn't quite as well written as some of Nancy Thayer's other books.  Rated 3/5 stars on Goodreads.