Skip to main content

Review: On Second Thought by Kristan Higgins

Thanks NetGalley for the Advanced Reading Copy of this one!  I read it back in January, but am a little behind on my blogging. Spring has been busy this year!

This book made me feel all the feels!  It features two sisters Ainsley and Kate, and although it's a romance it could also be called women's fiction because it heavily features the relationship between the two sisters who have never been close.  However, some pretty big life events bring the two sisters together, closer than ever.

Kate, who found her husband later in life, tragically loses him at the beginning of the book.  Readers follow her story of getting over the loss of her whirlwind romance and marriage, and then navigate a surprise that she never saw coming.  Watching Kate rebuild her life was addicting, and I had trouble putting the book down.

Ainsley's romance is completely the opposite of whirlwind.  She has been waiting for 11 years for her boyfriend to propose.  Instead of proposing her boyfriend, Kate's husband has an accident and Eric ultimately dumps her instead.  And writes about it online, in his blog.  Ainsley must also find her way after loss, and moves in with her sister (with her adorable dog) while she does.  The relationships that the sisters have with each other and the rest of the family and friends is fascinating and such a good story.  If you haven't read this one yet you should do it right now!

Rated 5/5 on Goodreads...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Trouble with Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis

Jill Shalvis is spot on with her new Heartbreaker Bay series...I haven't been disappointed yet! The Trouble with Mistletoe is the second in the series after Sweet Little Lie s.  This story features pet shop owner Willa Davis and the very sexy contractor/developer Keane Winters.  Willa knew Keane in high school, but it turns out he doesn't remember her.  Luckily for everyone Keane is now a very nice man, and the sparks between the two fly almost from the first page.  When you throw in an adorable kitchen, a cast of colorful characters and the magic Jill Shalvis creates with her writing and this one is a winner! Highly recommended! Rated 4/5 on Goodreads and recommended to Libraryreads. Thanks to Edelweiss for the advanced reader's copy...I enjoyed this one!

Review: Fat Fridays by Judith Keim

I wasn't going to review this one on my blog because, frankly, I didn't like it.  But then I decided that my blog shouldn't just be about books I like, it should be honest reviews about all books good and bad. The premise of the book was promising, the main character Sukie is rebuilding her life after her husband leaves her for another women.  A common theme with women's fiction books.  Sukie learns to rely on her friends, and makes new friends while she discovers who she is when she is alone.  I love this type of story line and it was probably the best part of the book, but it was hard to read, rushed and all over the place. The characters, to me, just didn't seem real and I had trouble connecting to them.  To me this is the cornerstone of a women't fiction novel and without it I just couldn't get into the book.  This one had a lot of promise but didn't deliver. Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced readers copy in exchange for this honest review...

Review - The Island House by Nancy Thayer

Anyone who knows what books I enjoy, knows by now that I love any book that features summer, the beach, an island or any combination of those things.   The Island House didn't disappoint.  I love Thayer's books that are set on the island of Nantucket, I love reading about the families who summer there and the families that stay there all year long. This book was exciting because it not only featured a family who lives on Nantucket year round, the Vickerey's, but also their "summer children".  The main focus of this novel is Courtney who was college roommates with Robin Vickerey.  Courtney has fallen in love with Robin's brother James, but has many unanswered questions about their relationship.  Also, someone from Courtney's past appears and makes her wonder if she knows her own heart. Although I enjoyed this book a lot, it wasn't quite as well written as some of Nancy Thayer's other books.  Rated 3/5 stars on Goodreads.