Skip to main content

Review: Wild Horse Springs by Jodi Thomas

Thanks to NetGalley for the Advanced Readers Copy of this one.  I read it in January but am a little behind on my blogging.

I love a good cowboy story, but this one was just OK.  Wild Horse Springs is the fifth in the Ransom Canyon series...but it certainly isn't my favorite of the bunch.

This story features sheriff Dan Brigman and Brandi Malone.  Brandi is a singer who is running from a loss...she travels from town to town preforming on the stage and trying to forget her past.  When danger strikes Brandi ends up running to Dan instead of running away like she usually does.

The story also features Lauren Brigman, Dan's daughter, who has come home after her job in Dallas doesn't pan out.  Lauren has to decide if home is where her heart is or if she is going to travel back out into the world and try and forge a new life.  There are some really solid parts to this story, but it did fall a little flat for me.  It look me a long time to get into it, and a lot longer to read than most books of this length.

3/5 stars on Goodreads.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Trouble with Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis

Jill Shalvis is spot on with her new Heartbreaker Bay series...I haven't been disappointed yet! The Trouble with Mistletoe is the second in the series after Sweet Little Lie s.  This story features pet shop owner Willa Davis and the very sexy contractor/developer Keane Winters.  Willa knew Keane in high school, but it turns out he doesn't remember her.  Luckily for everyone Keane is now a very nice man, and the sparks between the two fly almost from the first page.  When you throw in an adorable kitchen, a cast of colorful characters and the magic Jill Shalvis creates with her writing and this one is a winner! Highly recommended! Rated 4/5 on Goodreads and recommended to Libraryreads. Thanks to Edelweiss for the advanced reader's copy...I enjoyed this one!

Review: Fat Fridays by Judith Keim

I wasn't going to review this one on my blog because, frankly, I didn't like it.  But then I decided that my blog shouldn't just be about books I like, it should be honest reviews about all books good and bad. The premise of the book was promising, the main character Sukie is rebuilding her life after her husband leaves her for another women.  A common theme with women's fiction books.  Sukie learns to rely on her friends, and makes new friends while she discovers who she is when she is alone.  I love this type of story line and it was probably the best part of the book, but it was hard to read, rushed and all over the place. The characters, to me, just didn't seem real and I had trouble connecting to them.  To me this is the cornerstone of a women't fiction novel and without it I just couldn't get into the book.  This one had a lot of promise but didn't deliver. Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced readers copy in exchange for this honest review...

Review - The Island House by Nancy Thayer

Anyone who knows what books I enjoy, knows by now that I love any book that features summer, the beach, an island or any combination of those things.   The Island House didn't disappoint.  I love Thayer's books that are set on the island of Nantucket, I love reading about the families who summer there and the families that stay there all year long. This book was exciting because it not only featured a family who lives on Nantucket year round, the Vickerey's, but also their "summer children".  The main focus of this novel is Courtney who was college roommates with Robin Vickerey.  Courtney has fallen in love with Robin's brother James, but has many unanswered questions about their relationship.  Also, someone from Courtney's past appears and makes her wonder if she knows her own heart. Although I enjoyed this book a lot, it wasn't quite as well written as some of Nancy Thayer's other books.  Rated 3/5 stars on Goodreads.