Skip to main content

A few quick reviews...

Spring has sprung, and it's going to be a little harder to read for the next two months, until long summer days come back anyway!  I read two books in the last few weeks, both from Edelweiss, so thanks Edelweiss for the review copies!  Since I didn't give full reviews, I will just do a quick review for both and say I enjoyed them both.



I enjoyed My One True Highlander by Suzanne Enoch quite a lot!  It was a fun, sexy story and as we all know I love any book set in Scotland, but it wasn't all that original.  I don't know why, but highlander's often kidnap their brides, although this time the kidnapping was indirect because it was done by Graeme's brothers.  Even though it wasn't super original, I thought the two characters were great together and had an instant chemistry.  I especially loved Marojorie's relationship with the youngest brother, who was so sweet you can't help but love him.  I am looking forward to another in the series!  4/5 stars on Goodreads



I also read and reviewed Kianna Alexander's first book in a new series called Back to Your Love.  I didn't like this one as much, but it was OK overall.  This one features Xavier and Imani, who were high school sweethearts who had a tragic breakup.   After seeing each other a wedding Xavier becomes determined to win her back.  My biggest problem is it was hard to stay involved in.  I need a book that keeps my attention away from the laundry or whatever else I have going on, and this one didn't do that.  I could put it down and it was hard to pick back up!  Overall it was good, and who doesn't love a story about two high school sweethearts making up for lost time?  I will check out book two in the series and see if that one holds my interest a little better.  3/5 stars on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Trouble with Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis

Jill Shalvis is spot on with her new Heartbreaker Bay series...I haven't been disappointed yet! The Trouble with Mistletoe is the second in the series after Sweet Little Lie s.  This story features pet shop owner Willa Davis and the very sexy contractor/developer Keane Winters.  Willa knew Keane in high school, but it turns out he doesn't remember her.  Luckily for everyone Keane is now a very nice man, and the sparks between the two fly almost from the first page.  When you throw in an adorable kitchen, a cast of colorful characters and the magic Jill Shalvis creates with her writing and this one is a winner! Highly recommended! Rated 4/5 on Goodreads and recommended to Libraryreads. Thanks to Edelweiss for the advanced reader's copy...I enjoyed this one!

Review: Fat Fridays by Judith Keim

I wasn't going to review this one on my blog because, frankly, I didn't like it.  But then I decided that my blog shouldn't just be about books I like, it should be honest reviews about all books good and bad. The premise of the book was promising, the main character Sukie is rebuilding her life after her husband leaves her for another women.  A common theme with women's fiction books.  Sukie learns to rely on her friends, and makes new friends while she discovers who she is when she is alone.  I love this type of story line and it was probably the best part of the book, but it was hard to read, rushed and all over the place. The characters, to me, just didn't seem real and I had trouble connecting to them.  To me this is the cornerstone of a women't fiction novel and without it I just couldn't get into the book.  This one had a lot of promise but didn't deliver. Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced readers copy in exchange for this honest review...

Review - The Island House by Nancy Thayer

Anyone who knows what books I enjoy, knows by now that I love any book that features summer, the beach, an island or any combination of those things.   The Island House didn't disappoint.  I love Thayer's books that are set on the island of Nantucket, I love reading about the families who summer there and the families that stay there all year long. This book was exciting because it not only featured a family who lives on Nantucket year round, the Vickerey's, but also their "summer children".  The main focus of this novel is Courtney who was college roommates with Robin Vickerey.  Courtney has fallen in love with Robin's brother James, but has many unanswered questions about their relationship.  Also, someone from Courtney's past appears and makes her wonder if she knows her own heart. Although I enjoyed this book a lot, it wasn't quite as well written as some of Nancy Thayer's other books.  Rated 3/5 stars on Goodreads.